Appliances in our homes, like water heaters and furnaces, burn natural gas. Natural gas combustion releases nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere. Nitrogen oxide, or NOx, is a precursor to our air pollution. Keeping your home as energy efficient as possible will reduce the amount of NOx emissions your home emits.
Easy ways you can improve the energy efficiency of your home:
- Upgrade lighting.
- Clean or replace dirty air filters.
- A/C unit tune-ups each spring.
- Use weather stripping around leaky windows and doors.
- Add insulation to your attic.
- Use window shades.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Unplug electronics when not in use.
- Set thermostats wisely! Turning down the thermostats two degrees in winter and up two degrees in summer makes a big difference in air quality.